Filter Results:

Category: Businesses

The Manitou Express Trolley in Front of Bartholomay Pavilion
The Manitou Express trolley parked in front of the Bartholomay Pavilion at Ontario Beach Park in the 1890's, likely delivering barrels of drink. The Bartholomay was owned by Henry Bartholomay and was a beer pavilion and entertainment center. It was one of the many "Coney Island of Western New York" attractions at the beach that included vaudeville acts, singing waiters, high wire acts and drinking. A fire in 1913 nearly burned it down and a subsequent fire in 1919 finished it off.
Kodak Park in 1937
Kodak Park looking west. Greece can be seen in the distance. Kodak Park began operations in 1890 and covers 1300 acres and at one time employed 15,000 workers.
Phelps General Store on the Corner of Latta and North Greece Roads
Phelp's General Store on the corner of Latta and North Greece Roads, looking west, late 1800's. The store was opened in the 1870's by Henry Phelps on what was then known as "Jenkin's Corner." The building still stands and currently houses an insurance agency.
Holiday Inn Road Sign on Ridge Road
The Holiday Inn Road, located at 1525 West Ridge Road. The hotel was the scene of a terrible arson fire on 26 November 1978 that resulted in 10 deaths. The crime was never solved. The sign commemorated Greece businessman and community activist Ralph Destephano. Mr. Destephano owned Buckman's bakery and ice cream shop and was instrumental in bringing ambulance services, a Rotary Club, a Chamber of Commerce and Park Ridge Hospital to Greece.
Wagg’s Grocery & Provisions Store Counter
The inside counter of Wagg's Grocery & Provisions store. It was located on Lake and Pullman Avenues from the early 1900's until the 1960's. Pictured third from the left is Gilbert (Burt) Wagg. The store sold all manner of food product and household goods and at one time employed twenty eight people.
Inside of Wagg’s Groceries & Provisions Store
The inside of Wagg's Groceries & Provisions Store. It was located on the corners of Lake and Pullman Avenues. It operated from the early 1900's until 1964. The store sold food products and household goods and was founded by Gilbert Wagg; affectionately known as "Bert."
Maier’s Waffle and Sandwich Shop
Maier's Waffle and Sandwich Shop, 1920's. The Maier's sandwich shop was located at 4454 Dewey Avenue. Eventually, the Maier's Hotel was constructed and attached to the shop.
Hiscock’s Lumber Mill
Hiscock's Mill was located on Manitou Road at Braddock Bay. It was formerly known as the Clark & Atwell Mill until it was purchased by James O. Hiscock and his brother in law Oliver Bagley in the 1860's. Mr. Hiscock moved his existing blacksmith shop to the mill site. Mr. Hiscock was a well known leader in the community and his mill was famous for its "many enticing play spots."
Ridge Road and Pepperidge Drive Across From Ridgemont Plaza
The corner of Ridge Road and Pepperidge Drive, across from Ridgemont Plaza, 1976. Ridgemont Plaza opened on the morning of 17 July 1959. Pictured in the foreground is the Conestoga wagon that was used for a bicentennial event at Greece Towne Mall.
Braddock Bay Marina & Harbor
Braddock Bay Marina & Harbor, 1967. It is located on East Manitou Road. As of 2016, it is called "Westpoint Marina & Harbor on Braddock Bay" following purchase by the Daniele Family of Companies.
Palmer Motors on Dewey Avenue
Dewey Avenue looking north. Palmer Motors can be seen in the center. It was located at 1850 Dewey Avenue and owned by E.C. (Scoop) Palmer. It opened in 1946 and changed ownership in 1962. It then went by the name Park Chrysler.
Topps Discount Department Store on Ridge Road
Topps discount department store was founded in 1957 by Fred Beckerman. The first store opened in Connecticut and Rochester stores began appearing in the early 1960's. The second Rochester Topps location opened in April 1967 and was located at 1250 Ridge Road West; the current Home Depot plaza. Topps closed in 1974 and the site served as United Skates of America roller rink in the mid 1970's and 1980's before becoming Home Depot.
Dewey Avenue Entrance to Northgate Plaza
The Dewey Avenue entrance to Northgate Plaza, 1950's. The plaza opened in October, 1953 and housed Wegman's, Star Market, Woolworth's and McCurdy's at various times during its history. It is currently anchored by Walmart and several other large chain retailers and service centers.
Red & White Food Stores Plaza Construction Ridge Road and Long Pond Road
Construction in the Red & White Food Stores Plaza at the corner of Ridge & Long Pond Roads, 1950's. Red & White Food Stores was a national chain that started in the 1920's and by the 1950's, had over one thousand stores in Pennsylvania, New York and Ohio. The Ridge and Long Pond Road store building is now Heritage Jewelers.
Carousel at The Mall at Greece Ridge
Carousel horse at The Mall at Greece Ridge, 2009. The Mall at Greece Ridge began its history as two separate malls. Greece Towne Mall opened in 1967 and Long Ridge Mall opened in 1969. The two malls merged in 1994.