Wittman Motors tow service retrieving a vehicle from the Erie Canal. Wittman's was located at 2496 Ridge Road, across from the old Town Hall.
The corners of Ridge and Long Pond Roads looking east, 1970. The old Town Hall is visible in the center. Agostinelli's Super Market can be seen to the right. There were four Agostinelli's Fine Food Markets in Rochester at the time. Located at 2547 W Ridge Rd, as of 2020 it is the site of Heritage Jewelers.
The final plaza design of Ridgemont Plaza, 1957. Abbott, Merkt and Co. were the architects of the project, along with local architect A. Charles Pioch. The plaza opened in July 1959.
The Vanderstyne Ford dealership opened in 1967 and was located at 4545 West Ridge Road. The dealership president was Gerald P. Vanderstyne and it boasted a 25,000 square foot showroom and office complex.
The Forest Hill Restaurant was located at 41 East Manitou Road., near Braddock Bay. It opened in the 1960's and was originally owned by Norman and Robert Forest. It was still operational in 2019; serving a popular fish fry dinner Wednesdays through Fridays.
The original plaza design of Ridgemont Plaza, 1957. Abbott, Merkt and Co. were the architects of the project, along with local architect A. Charles Pioch. The plaza opened in July 1959.
Another market occupying the old "Phelps Store" building located at 3569 Latta Road. The North Greece Food Market existed in the late 1960's into the early 1970's. A portion of the electric sign for the DeMay Hotel can be seen on the left, 1970's.
Built in 1875, the old St. John the Evangelist Church has been utilized by a number of businesses since its use was discontinued in the 1970's after the parish relocated. Among some of the businesses, it has served as a Verizon Wireless store and a music store, as seen in this photo from the 1980's. As of 2019, it has been vacant for a number of years.
The Erie Insurance Group occupying the former Phelp's General Store building on the corner of Latta and North Greece Roads.
Located at 2672 Ridge Road, Empire Electric was established in 1971 and occupied the former house of Dr. George Sanders. The house was built in the 1850's. Empire Electric was a light fixture supply business and operated at this location until the 1990's. It was demolished in the 2010's.
Falco's Grocery & Delicatessen was located at 4542 Ridge Road, where the current Bob Johnson's Used Car dealership currently stands. It was also known as "Falco's Mini Mart" and was owned by the Falco family. At various times, it included a motorcycle shop, barber shop and other commercial enterprises. In 1986, a Spencerport couple purchased a winning lottery ticket at the store that paid a prize of $2 million.
W.T. Grant Co. and other storefronts in Ridgemont Plaza, 1966. Ridgemont Plaza was constructed in the late 1950's at a cost of $2 million. In 1960, the plaza was anchored by Wegmans Super Market, Woolworth's, Key Drugs and others.
An early 1920's Buckman's Dairy delivery truck. Buckman's Dairy was founded by Homer Buckman in 1911. A store was added in the 1930's and the company was purchased by Ralph DeStephano in the 1950's. Mr. DeStephano expanded the offerings to include donuts, ice cream and a commercial plaza that offered car wash and laundry services. Mr. DeStephano was a dedicated community activist for decades. The Buckman's store closed in the mid-2000's.
The VerHulst Bros. Farm Market was located at 1253 Ridge Road, near Mt. Read Blvd. It began as a roadside fruit stand run by Stephanie VerHulst in the 1930's. Eventually, brothers Cy, John, Charles and Joseph opened the market and sold fruits, vegetables, soil, plants and farming equipment. It closed in the 1990's. Members of the VerHulst family went on to open Cobble Creek Farm in Parma.
Schaller's restaurant on Edgemere Drive as it appeared in the 1950's. Brothers Ken and Joe Schaller opened it in 1956. A second location opened in Irondequoit in 1959 and a third in Brighton in 1996. A 2013 USA Today nationwide poll ranked Schaller's hot dogs fourth best in the country.