The Odenbach Shipbuilding Corporation came into existence in response to World War II shipbuilding demands. John H. Odenbach's shipyard built landing barges and shallow draft oil tankers for the American war effort, averaging an astonishing rate of delivery of about one ship every two weeks.
Unknown worker standing on a barge at the Odenbach Shipyard, 1943. The Odenbach Shipyard was located at 4777 Dewey Avenue and was used to build ships during World War II. It was torn down in 2015.
Exterior of old Odenbach Shipbuilding Corporation building, 2014.
The exterior of Odenbach Shipbuilding Corporation on Dewey Avenue, 1943.
A crane at work inside the Odenbach shipyard, 1940's
Workers at the Odenbach shipyard, 1943.
Work being done at Odenbach Shipbuilding Corp., 1943.
The shipyard of the Odenbach Shipbuilding Corporation located at 4800 Dewey Avenue, 1943.
Odenbach band playing at company picnic, 1944.
The Odenbach Band pictured in their new uniforms, 1944.
Completed military Y boat at Odenbach Shipyard. John Odenbach pictured second from left, August 1943.
The Odenbach Band at New York Central Station, 1944.
Dockworkers and military inspectors at Genesee Harbor, 1944.
John D. Odenbach, 1887-1974. Shown at the helm of a ship build at his Odenbach Shipbuilding Corp., 1943.
Welders and other workers at the Odenbach Shipyard, 1940's.